Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Note on Girls

Just saw the first 7 episodes of Girls. I meant just to watch the first one and see what all the buzz was about. I got immediately hooked and watched all the episodes so far out where I am in the space of 24 hours. The best thing I've read about it, I've read two things and some comments, is that at TNR by Laura Bennett, who I don't know of, but I wished I had seen the show and read the article when it was published to have been able to join in the discussion fray.  I think Bennett quite nails the show, save for underestimating or underemphasizing one of its great strengths, the complexity of Hannah, who is all at once smart, obtuse, desperate, resilient, sexually attractive, somewhat bovine and unattractive, pretty, ugly, a loser, a winner, penetratingly insightful,  clueless, self absorbed and at times virtually empty of self esteem, grounded and strong yet utterly spacey, deeply immature yet on the verge of some seeming writerly greatness. She's a wonder to behold in all her dialectical facets constantly clashing and synthesizing and then clashing further. Her complexity aside, Bennett does a great job at getting at the show's core and comparing it around.  http://www.tnr.com/print/article/books-and-arts/102629/girls-hbo-tv-series-lena-dunham-judd-apatow Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment