Thursday, August 6, 2020

A Few Words On Orson Welles, The Lady From Shanghai, Citizen Kane, Michael Curtiz, Bogart And Casablanca

‪Stage Irish in Orson Welles’ case is lousy Irish. ‬

‪I again tried to watch The Lady From Shanghai. ‬
‪Best I could do was to fight off sleep. ‬

‪His blarney is baloney. ‬

‪The sheer staginess obstructs the narrative, makes the film static and near to unwatchable. ‬

‪The story is way too complicated and isn’t revealed in action so much as in set piece speeches, especially at the end.‬

‪Welles as actor and director exhausts me and frustrates my patience both in this movie, and, heretical as it may be, philistine as I may be, in Citizen Kane. ‬

‪Give me Michael Curtiz’s Casablanca with Bogie et al, even with its schmaltzy ending, any day. ‬

‪Its effects are filmic not static, the opposite of a weird, stagey bore. ‬

‪It pops all the way through. ‬

‪In my humble opinion.‬

‪The End‬

No comments:

Post a Comment