Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A Note on David Remnick's King Of The World

I finished my belated reading of David Remnick's King Of The World. I thought it excellent, even though the prose didn't sing. I have a lot of thoughts about it but just to mention a few: I thought it was a great work of synthesis; I thought it excellent in its choices of what to highlight; for it being a synthesis, it was comprehensive; it showed how Clay, as he then was, was something in his style completely knew and radical; it set up brilliantly the key matches it highlighted involving Patterson, Liston and Clay/Ali; it showed Ali's tremendous heroism in refusing the draft; it was wonderfully synoptic on Malcolm X, The Nation of Islam and Ali's relation to them both; and finally I was moved to be persuaded by Remnick's indictment of boxing.yle completely knew and radical; it set up brilliantly the key matches it highlighted involving Patterson, Liston and Clay/Ali; it showed Ali's tremendous heroism in refusing the draft; it was wonderfully synoptic on Malcolm X, The Nation of Islam and Ali's relation to them both; and finally I was moved to be persuaded by Remnick's indictment of boxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment